firefox java plugins

I'm using firefox in f8t3 and trying to view web pages with java.
I was hoping the plugin would be installed by default or install easily,
but I'm having problems. Is the new icedtea stuff supposed to enable
java support in firefox, or do I still need to install something from Sun?
If I have to install Sun stuff, is there a documented procedure for f8?

Thanks... David