Re: Master configuration file for services?

Keith Roberts wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
    <fedora-test-list redhat com>
From: Michal Jaegermann <michal harddata com>
Subject: Re: Master configuration file for services?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
Would it be possible to have one master configuration file
that is read on boot time to determine which system services
are run please?

You mean that you want something like system-config-services?
Did you try that one?

I'm having to spend ages on disabling services with
chkconfig <sname> off.

If you are doing that from a command line then check something
of that sort

echo "service1
service2
service3" | xargs -n1 -i chkconfig {} off

or you may feed xargs redirecting stdin from a file with names
one per line.

The later you can modify using a file with lines like
"serviceA on" and "serviceB off" and use that with
"xargs -n2 -i chkconfig {}" to have your master configuration.

  Michal

Thankyou for that Michal. I will take a look at xargs.

What's the service setup tool that runs with firstboot? Can I not use that at will from the CLI?

Regards

Keith

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net

GUI: system-config-services
TUI: /usr/sbin/ntsysv