Re: [OT] Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 16:05, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Yeah, but for you own user and via IMAP4. Mail server storage format
> becomes especially important if this is not available for whatever
> reasons.

Actually, the IMAP protocol and Cyrus supports proxy authentication,
where you authenticate as an admin user ('cyrus' usually) and work as if
you were that user.  Any c-client-based client should support it,
although it's been reported that PHP doesn't.

> I've seen more than one IMAP/POP server having bugs where special
> mails in their mailboxes made the daemon dying when user tries to
> access his mailbox. Then the admin needs to identify and isolate/
> delete the "offending" mail manually, without IMAP/POP. There, you
> want to use your command line MUA. :-)

I've never seen Cyrus die like this; I've seen it reject messages with
nulls, but it rejects them at deliver-time, not when it's reading them.
Even if some obscure problem does crop up, you can always delete the
message in the backend storage and run 'reconstruct' to rebuild the

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley nakedape cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *