Re: initscripts: Can it restart a service automatically if onecrashes?

Le lun 29/12/2003 à 09:44, Tony Yat-Tung Cheung a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am going to write an init script for a 3rd party application. I would
> like the application to restart itself automatically if it crashes or
> core dumps (up to a predefined limit). Does the current initscripts
> provide similar functionality?
>
> I assume it is important, as we would like to make sure certain services
> continue to be available in the system.
>
> Thank you. Any idea?

I my experience, a crashing app *will* crash again. Doing an autorestart
cycle is a sure way to kill a server *and* obscure history enough you
won't be able to say why it crashed in the first place.

Much better to provide an health check that can be plugged into a
general purpose monitoring app like nagios (or if you're really that
desesperate, schedule regular reboots in the system cron).

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot