kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 and gdb

When attempting to debug any program while using the newest kernel
(2.6.9-1.724) under FC3, I invariably get the following error
immediately upon executing the program:
   warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes
   Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
   The program no longer exists.

I'm no kernel hacker and have no idea where the problem might lie,
or what package needs to be fixed. But I've tested this problem with
the same result on two boxes with very different hardware configurations.

Below is a transcript of replicating this problem, just in case there's
some detail you can spot that I missed.
[tylerl tyler2 ~]$ cat >test.c<<END
> int main(int argc,char *argv[]) {
> return 0;
> }
> END
[tylerl tyler2 ~]$ gcc -g test.c -o test
[tylerl tyler2 ~]$ gdb test
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.1post-1.20040607.43rh)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/tylerl/test
warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes

Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb)