Re: RFC: Optimizing for 386

Peter Backlund wrote:
Has anyone been testing -Os (optimize for size) instead of -O2 on any
greater scale? Fitting as much as possible in L1-cache is a great way to
obtain high performance.

/Peter Backlund

The kernels in FC are currently compiled with -Os.

I worked with some North Carolina State University studenst testing something like this out this fall on Mozilla. They found some improvement in performance (reduction in L1 cache and instruction TLB misses). I have put the pdf report at:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/ncsu2004/Space%20Optimizations.pdf

-Will