Re: slow hard drives crushing interactivity

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 18:29 -0500, Sean wrote:
> On Mon, January 24, 2005 6:01 pm, Havoc Pennington said:
>
> > Maybe a cap on process size, so there can be 1G virtual memory but an
> > individual app can only use 512M?
>
> This already exists of course, you can set a ulimit on RSS and virtual
> memory size.

The real question of course is whether we can somehow enable this by
default on systems where it makes sense...

> > If there's no automatic way to make this work, maybe there's at least a
> > way to key off a single global desktop vs. server flag rather than
> > requiring more detailed tuning?
>
> I wonder if CKRM (http://ckrm.sourceforge.net/) or ilk might help you?

Same thing there. But yeah it could be useful... I think people are
looking at virtualization as a better approach for containing server
functions, but something like CKRM could be better for e.g. separating
the desktop environment components from the apps to maintain
interactivity when an app goes haywire. I don't know.

Havoc