Re: grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:28:29 -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:

> So then I tried Totem, and it suffers from the canonical Red Hat
> braindamage of "oh, you haven't installed the mystery secret MP3 plugin,
> and no, I won't even hint to you where to find it." Frankly, I can't be
> bothered to go on this snark hunt again, I've done that enough times.

Totem uses GStreamer, and hence gstreamer-plugins-mp3 from the same
old http://rpm.livna.org repository works just fine.

> So, I'd be thrilled to try out an alternative MP3 player to XMMS, just
> as soon as someone can point me to one that actually plays MP3s!

Amarok (KDE application) as provided in Fedora pre-Extras is quite
nice, but needs kdemultimedia-extras as provided by rpm.livna.org before
it would play mp3s.