Re: radical suggestion for fc4 release

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:04 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi folks,
>  this is a touch silly but possibly useful and it would definitely cut
> down on the old crap blocking up cdroms.
>
> how about if we kill all rpm spec file changelog entries OLDER than 2
> years.
>
> they'll still live on in older srpms and rpms but it'd be a useful
> reduction and it would make the specfiles that much smaller, along with
> the rpm headers.

I like having the full changelogs in the spec files. Perhaps with
the new CVS setup we could switch to having external changelogs
and the same benefits.I wouldn't like to just go through all
the packages and lop them off.

But I'd agree that shipping the whole changelog in the RPM header
is silly. I wonder if it's possible to strip all but the last
10 entries / 6 months (whichever is more) as part of the build
process?

Regards,
						Owen

I'm always a vaguely amused by the gtk2 changelog ... it has 630
lines of %changelog over 7 years, and finishes with:

* Thu Mar 12 1998 Marc Ewing <marc redhat com>
- Reworked to integrate into gtk+ source tree
- Truncated ChangeLog.  Previous Authors:
  Trond Eivind Glomsrod <teg pvv ntnu no>
  Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm redhat com>
  Otto Hammersmith <otto redhat com>

It can't have been more than 50 lines long at that point.