Re: RPM roadmapping

Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com> wrote:

[...]

> Since someone started this, can someone brief me on the choice of cpio
> vs. gz, bz2, etc?
>
> I'm assuming it wasn't a random choice, and there was/is some
> technical reason for it.

cpio is a real standard archive format (there are something like a half
dozen _different_ tar formats around) plus it is very simple.

gz, bz2, etc are file compression standards, that is completely
orthogonal to the packing. And yes, if we are looking for new RPM
features, perhaps a look at better compression would be in order...