Re: RPM roadmapping

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Horst H. von Brand (vonbrand inf utfsm cl) said:
cpio is a real standard archive format (there are something like a half
dozen _different_ tar formats around) plus it is very simple.

gz, bz2, etc are file compression standards, that is completely
orthogonal to the packing. And yes, if we are looking for new RPM
features, perhaps a look at better compression would be in order...

bz2 makes things somewhat smaller, with a significant increase in
cpu time and memory usage; unknown how much that is worth it.

I think someone from SUSE said it has not been worth the trouble to them here previously.

Rahul