Re: Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 8/7/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
If fedora must send every new and untested
change on to the users, how about some easier way to avoid them if they
break your hardware, like making kernel updates opt-in within a release
version?

reconfiguring the setting in /etc/sysconfig/kernel  don't provide
enough protection for you?

If it is expected to not work - and that's been my experience except for FC3 and FC6, that should be the default. Fortunately through my problems with FC5, yum was smart enough not to delete my working kernel and cycled through many others which I would try to boot, then pick the old one from the grub menu when that failed. I'm not sure if that is still the case, though.

setting UPDATEDEFAULT=no  should keep your current kernel the default,
then you can boot to the update kernel when you see fit to.

People seem to be having problems with udev too these days. Do they have to stay in sync?

-jef"runs updates-testing kernels, so saying things are untested is
technically incorrect."spaleta

OK, but what happens if they fail testing? The problem with firewire drives not being recognized wasn't unique to my machine - it couldn't have worked anywhere.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com