Re: GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

On Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:11:20 am Eric Sandeen wrote:
> So if sourcecode doesn't mention a version but COPYING does, it's still
> interpreted as "or any later version?"  Hm... that strikes me as odd.

I BELIEVE what they're trying to say is that if both the source and COPYING
contain different licence numbers, the source trumps the COPYING file.

Most of the time, the COPYING file is simply the GPL/LGPL copied verbatim from
the FSF site.  As a result, I can understand why they would say look at the
source code.

However, I'd suspect in that case, the stuff in the COPYING is what counts.  I
BELIEVE that the point of the "check the source" rule is to avoid situations
where the COPYING file conflicts with the source itself.