Re: changelogs in packages and space use

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:58:26 -0400
"Colin Walters" <walters redhat com> wrote:

> On 8/31/07, David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com> wrote:
> >

> > Some packages are essentially the upstream source for a project,
>

> Yes, and I think this should be strongly discouraged.   For starters, spec
> files and patches are a poor substitute for revision control.  It also makes
> it significantly more painful for other people to reuse the work (c.f. the
> Ubuntu developer's request).
>
> If we have situations like this - put up a project on
> hosted.fedoraproject.org.  Or code.google.com.  Or sourceforge.

Done and done.  I moved mine, but some haven't moved and probably won't for a while.  Even when they do move, the project will need to change how it handles recording changes going forward.

I'm just saying that having a script mow down changelog entries is a bad idea.  It should be in the hands of the package maintainer.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA