Re: ata and scsi modules in initrd

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

To summarize, it's not a big deal, and I can't imagine having EVERY storage
driver in the initrd just in case someone replugs the disk between two very
rare controllers.

I didn't say we should have all modules in the initrd. But having the
most common would IMHO a good thing.

Imaging would be another thing that would benefit from this. We like to have identical images even though the hardware can vary quite considerably. 99% of the time this isn't an issue because the hardware is detected dynamically and largely requires no manual intervention, but this is one minor area that sometimes requires a bit of manual intervention. A work around at the moment is to add an alias in /etc/modprobe.conf on the master image for every disk controller type we use, when the kernel is installed it pulls in the appropriate modules so that it doesn't matter what controller the target is using.

--
Ian Chapman.