Re: Fedora 8 review (OT, Changing X' configuration)

Gilboa Davara <gilboad gmail com> writes:

> Restart?!?!?!
> Shouldn't Zap (Ctrl-Alt-BS) or Logout work?

It probably should, but it doesn't.

> I can't remember ever having to restart the machine in-order to change
> something in X's configuration... (including driver.ko and X.org version
> updates)

Welcome to laptops with ATI graphics. X often can't figure out how to
turn on an output if the BIOS hasn't done it already. If you boot
without the projector plugged in, the BIOS turns the VGA output off,
and that's the end of that story.

Hopefully ATI's new-found commitment to free software will help.

/Benny