Re: VNC development plan - discuss

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
I have situations where I would very much like to login on a local
display set some things up, lock the screen, and then log back in
remotely to it over vnc without the local display becoming active and
accepting keyboard/mouse inputs.  Right now on fc6, vino doesn't
provide this sort of experience as an option, and I'm falling back to
using a standard Xvnc controlled desktop, dealing with the hardware
specific permissions issues which result as needed.

I do this as a matter of course every day. I set up a VNC session on the server such that it securely tunnels to a few machines that I will likely connect from, including the local machine. Then I use terminal server client to connect to the VNC session from the various client systems. It is really sweet. With FUSA it even gets better. I set up VNC sessions to multiple machines using different accounts and switch between them very quickly with FUSA. As the only user on client systems, I turn off session locking entirely so switching between (remote) sessions is a sub-second operation. Perfect.

-pmr