Re: yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 09:31 -0400, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> The idea is NOT to provide incremental updates. i.e. drpms will always
> upgrade some version to latest. You should never need to install
> several drpms to reach "latest" state.
> I am thinking it would be best to provide at least 2 drpms
> n-1 => n (previous to latest)
> and
> General Availability (FC6 isos) => latest
>
> If this gets popular, we might provide n-2 => n drpms for slow
> updaters

There's a neat little utility included with deltarpm called
combinedeltarpm that will combine two drpms into one (i.e.
abiword-2.0-2.1.drpm + abiword-2.1-2.2.drpm = abiword-2.0-2.2.drpm)
which would provide the n-2 drpm quite easily.

We really just need to get it up and running first, though. ;)

Jonathan