Re: Where Do I Debug Issues With An App Packaged By Fedora?

Timothy Spaulding wrote:
I'm an engineer and a user of Fedora.  I've used Fedora at work for years now.  Recently, I've run
into some problems using Evolution with our corporate exchange server.  Figuring this was my
chance to get involved with the community, I started digging into the Fedora and Gnome projects
trying to figure out how to proceed.  The big question I have is:  Which project should I start
with?

Fedora packages Evolution, but as I understand it, doesn't really add anything to its development
other than bug reports and some fixes.  Would it be more appropriate to start by installing the
development versions of Evolution from Gnome?  Should I start by installing from rawhide?

How do you make a decision about where to start debugging?  Also, I'd love to hear anyone's
strategies with debugging a specific application on Fedora without disrupting the rest of the
machine.

If you are looking to debug Evolution on Fedora and report bugs, see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces. Evolution is minimally patched is Fedora. If you are looking to contribute to code development running the latest version from CVS/SVN from upstream and reporting bugs/ sending patches there would be better.

Rahul