Re: Pre-release kernel versioning?

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 04:33:22PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 19 March 2007 16:28:06 Axel Thimm wrote:
> >  Instead of 1.2925 why not a simple integer?
>
> 2925 is generated from the cvs checkin ID.

Yes, I know, but why do we need to know that on the user level? :=)

We don't have this convenience setup in other packages, although
nothing stops a package to use the same embed-the-CVS-id-and-never-
bump-the-release-tag-ever method.

> No need to worry about it ever, cvs IDs are always incrementing.

Given that we'd like to rethink whether CVS can finally rip, that
it is not really needed anyway in the release tag, maybe it would be
good to cast it away, too.

But the may part is getting %version right, everything else is just
cosmetics.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net