Re: Init : someone could comment this ?

Linus Walleij wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:

To put it a different way, the chances of a solution that doesn't at
least support SysV scripts in some compatibility way going into RHEL
is pretty much zero, at least for the first RHEL release that it would
exist in.

Sounds like Upstart is the candidate to me... it is Init-compatible but still support its own format too, AFAICS. It will perhaps be superseded by InitKit, but whatever.

Linus

I have been in touch with Scott Remnant, and this is fortunately not true.

InitKit is a project to create a standard for event-based activation. The idea is that even if a bunch of distros NIH and implement themselves, upstream can count on certain behaviors. No actual software is planned to emerge from the project.

So, one less concern.

--CJD