secure IMAP applet

One of the biggest reasons I like the combined nature of the mozilla suite is I get notified of new mail with just a browser window open. To my knowledge, the "inbox monitor" applet that comes with gnome does not support secure imap though (imap over ssl on port 993). Am I wrong? Can anyone recommend a sercure IMAP enabled GNOME panel applet? I don't want to have to leave thunderbird running unminimized in order to get new mail notifications, and don't want to send my password over the internet unencrypted.