From: fedora-list-admin redhat com [mailto:fedora-list-admin redhat com]
On Behalf Of Paul Gear
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 4:46 PM
To: fedora-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Mark Mielke wrote:
> I don't buy into this 'companies must give out everything for free,
> and if we need support, we'll pay for it'. Organizations given this
> option, more often than not, choose not to take the support option for

> *some* invented excuse, which usually includes 'well I can't afford
> the minimum support package that you offer, but I do wish I had
> support', or in your case, 'well I can't afford the minimum support
> package that you offer, but I do wish I had the binaries'...

I'm afraid that's just a fact of life in the .edu community.  As i said,
the school i volunteer for can't even afford the RHL basic subscription.

> I think it is perfectly reasonable for the open source community to
> work on something like Fedora, get Fedora for free (not for free, when

> you look at it this way), and leave RHEL for the user base that
> requires support and a longer release cycle.

My point was that some people need a longer release cycle without
support.

Here's my explanation of what i'm looking for:
http://paulgear.webhop.net/the_page_formerly_known_as_rhel.html

Paul