Re: Fedora and the System Administrator

You might want to sit down and make sure there are no breakable objects
nearby.

Heh, thanks for the chuckle - I needed that!

Other options of course is to talk to Red Hat sales about working out
some licensing options. I'm pretty sure Red Hat a rep has been on the
fedora mailing list saying they are willing to talk about .edu about
discussing things.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-September/msg00133.html

I agree with Tom's posting here, quite well written. I spoke with couple reps from RedHat and there's a deal whereby if you buy the RHEL Proxy ($2500 USD, incl RHAS), you can get Enterprise workstation for $25 USD/seat in quantities over 100.

That's one hell of a price break - so 100 seats comes out to $5000 - Which I feel is a good price. Unfortunately the Head of the Department doesn't. He also doesn't understand that it's going to cost a good chunk of change to migrate to another distro in terms of worker hours.

I absolutely love Redhat. Sadly enough - the way things are going, it's really going to suck having to stop using it here. Make no mistake! I'm not blaming redhat for this.

Thanks for your response,
Erik.

--
e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik cpsc ucalgary ca
 system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary