Re: [rhn-users] telnet xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com 443 failing

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 08:05:13AM -0600, redhat cpe-66-1-109-224 co sprintbbd net wrote:
> Up until 2 weeks ago, my system (RH 7.3) was able to run 'up2date -u' with
> no problems.  Then all of a sudden it started failing with the msg:
>     Error communicating with server.  The message was:
>     Connection timed out
> I try running:
>     telnet xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com 443
> per the RH help web pages and this is also failing.
>
> Absolutely nothing at my end has changed.  Yes I have a firewall, but it
> has not changed.  I can https/443 out to other machines no problem
> (including rhn.redhat.com and listman.redhat.com).  I can port 80 to
> xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com no problem.  So why can't I get to
> xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/443?
>
> So either the problem is at the RH end (them filtering my IP out for some
> odd reason) or some machine between me and RH is doing something it
> shouldn't.

   This is quite strange, seems your connectivity is okay since you can
contact the xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com box on port 80 and rhn.redhat.com on
port 443, assuming it's on our end that limits the points where the error
is occuring. Can you make sure xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com is resolving to
66.187.232.100 . Also did your ISP changed your IP address 2 weeks ago
i.e. could the change be linked in a way to a change of your IP ?

> Running traceroute is inconclusive since it gets to a point and then stops
> showing any host info (for redhat.com which I have no problems http'ing
> to).

  Yup, but anyway if you can contact xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com on port 80
it should not be a route problem.

> Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

  If you try /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date to try the following values for
serverURL, which ones works:

serverURL=http://www.rhns.redhat.com/XMLRPC
serverURL=https://www.rhns.redhat.com/XMLRPC
serverURL=http://xmlrpc.rhns.redhat.com/XMLRPC