Re: Tips for rpm newbie

Hey:
A really good guide is Ed Bailey's book Maximum RPM.  It's very
comprehensive, and only takes about 3-4 days to get through.  One thing you
gotta watch out for: it documents rpm-2.x, and now rpm-4.x is out.  There
are a lot of minor changes in the way rpm behaves.  It's still a very good
way to get started.  Most Linux distributions use RPMs: RedHat (obviously),
SuSe, Mandrake, Caldera, and many more.  As for the commercial Unices, RPM
will work on those, but most of them have their own packaging systems.
IMHO, it would be better to use RPM on Linux distributions, and native
packagers on commercial Unices, because that's the way other applications
are made available on non-Linux platforms.

--
Asad