Re: %_initscript??

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:09:14AM -0400, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> Giulio Orsero wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:29:55 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
> >
> > >%_initdir or %_initscripts or something like that, where this
> > >macro expands to /etc/rc.d on Red Hat <= 6.2, and /etc on 7.0 and
> > >up.
> > AFAIK rh70 has initscripts in the same places of rh6.x.
> > It's just that there are synlinks added.
> > The change you are talking about maybe will be done in future versions.
> >

> No, Mike is right.  What was in previous /etc/rc.d/init.d is /etc/init.d
> and all the rc.X's
> are now in /etc too starting with 7.0.

Actually, Giulio is right.  /etc/init.d is a symlink to rc.d/init.d in
Red Hat Linux 7.

By the way, please note there is no current standard that specifies
the paths for initscripts.  There is some mention of it in LSB drafts,
but that is all (and, by the advice of chairman Daniel Quinlan we do
not implement LSB drafts).  The symlink is in place for users used to
Solaris or other systems that use /etc/init.d (like Debian).

A final LSB document is going to be the only thing that ensures proper
inter-operation with things like initscripts.

You should use /etc/rc.d/init.d for now, especially if there was
*ever* a package of the same name that placed an initscript in
/etc/rc.d/init.d -- if you suddenly change to /etc/init.d/ then
upgrades will actually remove the initscript from the filesystem
altogether.

Cheers,

Matt