Re: rpm & ssh - Will the 2 be incorporated w/ each other soon?

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:45:57PM -0800, Auteria Wally Winzer Jr. wrote:
> A general question;
>
> Currently rpm can use HTTP or FTP.  In the future will rpm be able to
> use SSH for package installs?

Depends on what you mean by "use SSH for package installs".

I know how to add support to rpm to do remote installs using, for example,
either rcp or rdist protocols, presumably the ssh API is similar enough
that the work would be the same.

I hope to attempt some sort of xdelta/rsync protocol to increase package
download speed in the next 6-9 months, as that can't easily be done
without assistance from rpmlib, but other development has higher priority.
The rsync protocol has beacoup legacy problems, so if/when I get around to it,
I'll probably not use rsync.

OTOH, I point out

- You're the 1st person ever to even ask the question, so
  there's very little need at the moment for "remote install"
  support (whatever that means) in rpm.

- The major impediment to adding protocol support to rpm is one of
  taste and design:

    Should rpm have support for any (including FTP/HTTP) protocols at all?

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@jbj.org	(jbj@redhat.com)