RPM working detail

Hello

I wish to know the behavior of rpm in a bit more
detail to find out how it goes about installing files.
I ran a strace on rpm to install a couple of packages.
The trace output shows that rpm does the following :

0.open up rpm db files
1.pre-install script execution of pkg 1
2.files install of pkg 1
3.db updation for pkg 1 entries
4.post-install script execution of pkg 1
4.5 trigger file (rpm db) update

5.pre-install script execution of pkg 2
6.files install of pkg 2
7.db updation for pkg 2 entries
8.post-install script execution of pkg 2

except for the trigger file update which happens once
after the first package installation, whatever be the
number of packages installed, the above order seems to
be consistent. can somebody pls. tell me what exactly
happens to the trigger file and what a trigger is. and
also, am i right in assuming that the above order is
the actual correct order and that it will always be
serial without any interleaving ?

thanks
tapan