Setting up configurable spec files

I want to create a specfile where I can change build time instructions by
passing a command line argument.  Essentially i want to create a macro that
will be expanded when the command line option is passed. I imaging it would
be some poptish thing, but I can't seem to fidn the documentation for passing
antyhing other than --with-stuff  type arguments, which isn't exactly what I
want to do according to the documentation I have.

I would like to so something like:

rpmbuild -bb --prefix=/new/path file.spec

So that the --prefix path would be inserted before any other path information
using some macro.

Any ideas?

I have the new RedHat Press RPM book that was released this year.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch