Re: Parallel installation of rpm packages

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Liguo Song wrote:

> Hi, Raj,
>
> When the rpm installing a package, it will hold a exclusive lock on the rpmdb,
> the database of rpm packages. With the exclusive lock in place, you won't be
> able to query and install packages.

You can do querying from inside an rpm, and during an install.  Jeff,
has made the locks (I am assuming) bit more granular.  That being
said, its all very untested, and as Jeff said, I would not bet your job on
it.

OTH, I do recall discussion concerning rpm itself install rpm in a
transaction simultaneously.  Although, I was the one who wanted to make
sure such a future feature could be disabled, I think if you are going
to do simultaneous rpm installs, that doing it within the context of
a single transaction is best, as rpm can make sure that rpms are fed
through the psm in waves that correspond to the dependency tree.

> So, the brief answer is no.
>
> I am not sure whether this is mentioned in any documentation. I gathered this
> through my experience with rpm. Please correct me if I am wrong.

With rpm 4.2 you are half way right (-;

Cheers...james