Epochs in filenames

Was there a reason why epoch (which is the most important part of the whole
version tag) was never included in rpm file names?

And while I'm at it - can you think of any bad side-effects of using epoch to
differentate between major versions of a linux distro? I can't stop thinking
that it's a bad idea, but can't think of a reason why (it would make
upgrading from version to version of a distro a lot easier).

--
In the year eighty five ten
God is gonna shake his mighty head