Re: Are __db.00[123] lock files or not?

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:21:58PM -0200, Andre Costa wrote:

> Please apologize for the confusion.

No real problem here, it's just that most of a year of my life
has been watsed with __db* files. That has nothing whatsoever
to do with you.

Try
	cd /var/lib/rpm
	/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_stat -CA
and watch the output. Run rpm -qa as root, ^Z out, and you
will se a lock appear. Restart the rpm -qa, run to completion,
watch the lock disappear.

Repeat, but kill the rpm -qa with kill -9, watch a persistent
stale lock be left behind.

Then try running rpm -qa while installing, as that's the "feature"
that these locks are about, concurrent access.

In fact, try installing 2 packages simultaneously, that works.

Can you break concurrent access by installing hundreds of pkgs simultaneously?
Sure, feel free to do so, if the problem is exactly reproducible, I
may even have a prayer of attempting a fix.

Anyways, I dinna mean to be gruff, apologies.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)