Re: Installing an RPM from stdin

On Aug 7, 2006, at 4:30 AM, John Dallaway wrote:

I need a script to install an RPM package presented on the standard
input. I can _query_ a package as follows:

   cat mypackage.rpm | rpm -qpl /dev/stdin

Yep. Using "-" instead of "/dev/stdin" should work too.

But attempts to _install_ a package in this way fail silently.

Yep. During install, the pkg file is reopened for hysterical anaconda reasons, and
so stdin won't "work".

Are there any workarounds (other than saving the stream to a temporary
file)?

Nope.

73 de Jeff