default rpm macros cause errors with g77

Hi all,

I've got a package which I'm trying to build using RPM. It uses all the
standard GNU autotools so I thought I'd try using %configure macro. I
discovered that this macro includes some lines that, amongst other
things, sets:

FFLAGS='-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32
-march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'

This then gives an error later in the ./configure execution, including
that g77 says that "-mtune=pentium4" is an invalid option.

Basically, for the FFLAGS, RPM seems to be making some assumption about
the version of g77 I have -- or maybe it's assuming I will use gfortran?
What is it assuming here? What is the tidiest way to do things? Should I
strive to use the %configure command, or is it OK just to write my own:

%build
./configure --prefix=/usr

This is with RPM 4.4.1 on FC4 and RPM 4.4.2 on FC5.

Cheers
JP

BTW, the package I'm trying to build is libRadtran, www.libradtran.org.
This a set of library routines for radiative heat transfer that uses a
lot of FORTRAN 77. I can give my .spec file etc to anyone willing to
look at it.