networking: netmask doesn't match.

I got my token ring card working after recompiling 2.4.4 and adding
support. I had to manually change some settings, the netmask was
incorrectly set to 255.255.255.0 when it should be 255.255.248.0. I did
ifdown tr0 then reset the netmask then did ifup tr0 and I get the following
message...

route: netmask doesn't match the route address.

Also, I am unable to edit the preferences in Netscape and have it accept my
proxy server address. After I enter the address and click OK, I get an
error message that says socks.blah.blah.com is not known.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Shane