[Spacewalk-list] oracle setup failing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gtri.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 15 19:35:10 UTC 2011

posting solution to own help request below:

On 01/14/2011 04:25 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I'm setting up a 1.2 version using spacewalk-oracle and am using the
> details on https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/OracleXeSetup for how
> to set up the oracle db first.
>
> As the page reads like a cookbook (yay!) I've just followed it line by
> line (machine is F14 x86_64 and oracle is the exact version(s) from the
> instructions). All goes well until :
>
> sqlplus 'sys at xe as sysdba'
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Fri Jan 14 16:13:46 2011
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.
>
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in
> connect descriptor
>
> with a password setup during /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure
> to be simple letters only (bad security - only 5 lowercase letters).
>
> Much digging on Google suggests nothing useful (mostly setting
> ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID - which I did to
> ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server and
> ORACLE_SID=XE) of functional.
>
> I've restarted oracle_xe, removed and reinstalled, basically spent a day
> on this with no forward motion.
>
> ugh.
>
> Ideas?

During the removal process I had removed /usr/lib/oracle as well as
remove the oracle user and the dba group. But I _missed_ the
/var/tmp/.oracle directory. Once I stopp[ed oracle-xe, yum remove
oracle*, rm -rf /var/tmp/.oracle, rm -rf /usr/lib/oracle, the reinstall
went smotth and I'm able to do the sqlplus connection test.

So rpm -e doesn't remove all the oracle installation files AND a new
install will reuse old files.

This has strengthened my resolve to help push the postgres process
along! I'll be building it up in a vm shortly so I can get a data dump
from the oracle version in production.

--
Jim Kinney
Signature Technologies Lab