[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk/registration a few small minor problems, trying to clear them up

Matthew Darcy MDarcy at sch-group.net
Tue May 31 11:13:16 UTC 2011

List, I thought I'd put the list of minor but annoying issues I'm having to the list in the hope that any advice on any of them may get me moving on them.

First, the environment, spacewalk 1.4 on Oracle XE on Centos 5.6 x86_64

Problem 1.) I think this is the root a few of the problems. I kickstart a machine, it as an activation key that subscribes it to 4 software channels and 4 config channels. The kickstart process finishes and the client reboots, in the spacewalk web interface I can see the machine as a registered client. I can see it subscribed to the 4 software channels correctly in the web interface, it's entitlemtns are management, monitoring and provisioning, in the configuration menu, I can see it's subscribed to the correct for config channels. The issue is that none of the 4 config channels have deployed the files. If I do a "rhn_check" on the client, I get the following error

[quote]
[root at vmbuild01 ~]# rhn_check
Package rhncfg-5.9.52-1.el5.noarch already installed and latest version
Package rhncfg-actions-5.9.52-1.el5.noarch already installed and latest version
Package rhncfg-client-5.9.52-1.el5.noarch already installed and latest version
XMLRPC ProtocolError: <ProtocolError for spacewalk01.sccis.net /XMLRPC: 500 Internal Server Error>
[/quote]

the spacewalk server is reachable, I can see the client in the webui, I can search the repos on the spacewalk server from the client using yum, I don't know why it's giving a 500 error, and in reference to what.

This is the root of a few of my issues I believe, so I'm trying to understand why this 500 is being generated.

2.) my kickstart profile package list is being ignored. I've attatched my kickstart file for reference, but as you can see I've got wireless-tools, rhpl, -system-config-securitylevel-tui as removed, yet in the finished build these packages are still there, there is nothing that depends on these packages in the kickstart, so why are they being installed ?

3.) config file deployment. I fully acknolwedge that this issue may be related to point 1, but it's worth asking. The systems that are subscribed to config channels if I kick "deploy" in the spacewalk UI to deploy the config files, the spacewalk server schedules them for deployment but they never deploy. The clients are allowed to have config file deployment, is there some known tweaks that are needed to get config file deployment or package deployment working.

Sorry for the long post
thanks,

Matt