[Spacewalk-list] Client execution returned "Error while executing packages action: empty transaction [[6]]" (code -1)

Milan Zazrivec mzazrivec at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 15:41:01 UTC 2012

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to this list (and to Spacewalk in general) and hope you might be
> able to help me:
>
> I recently installed Spacewalk 1.7 using the OracleXE Backend on RHEL6.2,
> and created a local repository / channel and assigned it to a test client
> (which registers successful, also rhel 6.2)
>
> Spacewalk sees the necessary updates for the client, but if I schedule them
> (or only one package for testing), as soon as I run rhn_check (-v/vv/vvv)
> on the client, it fails with the error: Client execution returned "Error
> while executing packages action: empty transaction [[6]]" (code -1)
>
> this is also the only line in the output of rhn_check -vvv that looks bad
> to my unknowing eyes:
>
> I know there has been a bug in yum-rhn-plugin which has been talked about
> in September, but that affected 5.7 and the versions don't seem to be
> similar at all, so I presume this is another problem with the
> configuration on my end - I would be happy about a nudge in the right
> direction where to troubleshoot this problem.

Is your client stock RHEL-6.2 or has it been upgraded with latest Spacewalk
client packages?

I cannot really tell what the cause of your problem is, but it certainly would
be worth to find out -- in the past I always used python debugger to see
why would yum libraries think that there's nothing to do in the scheduled
transaction.

-MZ