[Spacewalk-list] Retired Channels

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 06:57:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 04:51:53PM -0500, Will L wrote:
> There are channels in Spacewalk that I would like to retire as I don't
> want to delete them, but I also don't want them crowding up the active
> list and confusing people.
>
> I know that retired channels exist and that RedHat (RHN) uses it, but
> I have no idea how to make a channel show up as retired. I do not find
> retiring channels in either the documentation or the mailing list.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this feature and how we can retire
> channels without having to just delete them?

Basically, Red Hat channel retire when you still have them synced on
your Satellite (no change on RHN hosted will delete those) but they
are no longer offered to your Satellite for syncing updates -- they
are likely no longer shown in the list. Orphaned, if you wish --
Satellite will no longer find them on RHN hosted during
satellite-sync.

Even if the channel is retired on RHN hosted, it still shows as
perfectly valid channel on your Satellite. So this will not achieve
what you want for your Spacewalk users anyway.

--
Jan Pazdziora