Re: 7.2->7.3 kernel panic

Jay:

Jay Turner wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 02:50:06PM -0500, Matt Perry wrote:
> > Now I am out of the frying pan into the fire. It appears that no
> > Adaptec controllers are supported in 7.3 so I really don't know
> > what controller is going to be equivalent or better and support
> > the drives I have in the machine.
> >
> > Any help from the list would be appreciated.
> >
> > mjp
>
> There are a ton of Adaptec cards which are supported in 7.3 . . . probably
> more of those than any other brand of SCSI controller.  Where you are
> getting that the AHA-2940 isn't supported under 7.3?
>
> - jkt

I did a query on the 7.3 distro at hardware.redhat.com and did not
find any Adaptecs listed storage controllers. In addition to that, I filed
a ticket through support. The response on got back in part read:

"After checking your system's devices, it appears that there is an
incompatibility issue with your Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra Wide SCSI
controller.  Hence the kernel panic pertaining to a device device, which
are your SCSI Disks.

Although this SCSI controller is compatible with RedHat 7.2 and 7.1, there
seems to be a problem with this device on 7.3. Actually, there have been alot
of bug reports with the aic7xxx modules for RedHat 7.3, hence your SCSI
controller is not found in our Hardware Compatibility List for RedHat 7.3."

This person referenced that same http://hardware.redhat.com URL.

If this is not the case great!!

I guess I would ask first what list should I be looking at for the listed of
supported SCSI controllers and secondly, if the Adaptec AHA-2940 UW
is supported, then what is my next step given where I am at right now?

mjp

--
Matt Perry
kheintz winternet com