[vfio-users] Eliminate Mini Stutter in "Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt" on top of KVM/VFIO

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 04:25:30 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I experienced a very noticeable mini stutters here and there when playing
"Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt" on my Windows 10 VM with OVMF and MSI enabled. I
was using the official linux-lts-4.1.19-1 from Arch Linux repository.
Apparently after changing these 3 kernel configurations and recompile the
kernel, the mini stutter issues are gone!

Here are the kernel configuration that I changed:
1.) 1000 MHz clock resolution
2.) Voluntary preemption scheduling
3.) Madvise hugepages (not really sure that this changes anything actually)

I am not really sure whether all or just one of them specifically eliminate
the mini stuttering. If someone had any idea what is really going on, my
ears are open. I found the kernel config changes from nbhs' early post [1]
and since my VM disk is on ZFS  [2].

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1270311#p1270311
[2] https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/1701

Thank you.