[virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 14:41:24 UTC 2009

On 11/23/2009 03:22 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 11/23/2009 02:41 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> I tried starting the VM in graphical env with virt-manager.  The VM
>>> never starts and throws this error:
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 493, in
>>> run_domain
>>>    vm.startup()
>>>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 573, in startup
>>>    self.vm.create()
>>>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 287, in create
>>>    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
>>> libvirtError: internal error Domain DOMAIN-1 didn't show up
>>>
>>> So it doesn't look like this is a guest distro issue.  How can I track
>>> down what is wrong?
>>>

>> See if there are any errors in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<vmname>.log. See if
>> disabling selinux (setenforce 0) helps at all.
>>
>> - Cole
>>

> Ignore the Trackback. Found a typo in my xml that I used to define the
> domain.
>
> Now when I try to start the guest in virt-manager it says "Console not
> configured for guest". I guess my console args didn't get into grub.cfg.
>
> So I'm back to trying to boot a rescue kernel.
>
> -Gerry

The 'console' in that message refers to the graphical console, which it
sounds like you didn't configure for the guest. You are best off trying
'virsh console <vmname>', but it will only work on the physical machine
that the guest is running (serial console does not work remotely yet).

I just pushed a virt-manager change to clarify that 'console' message:

http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/virt-manager/rev/f645010a2113

- Cole