[virt-tools-list] virt-manager and USB host device passthrough

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 14:27:40 UTC 2009

On 10/01/2009 07:50 AM, Daniel Berteaud wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I'm having a little problem with virt-manager 0.8 (from
> http://markmc.fedorapeople.org/virt-preview/f11/) and USB host device
> passthrough.
>
> If I use a local connection to libvirt, I can see USB devices, and
> assign it to my guests without problem. But when I connect to a remote
> libvirt (qemu+ssh://virt/system), I cannot. The dropdown list for USB
> Device only contains "000:000 USB Raw Device Access" lines. (See the
> attached screenshot)
>
> Remote libvirt is 0.7.0 running on CentOS 5.3
>
> Using virsh, I can see the devices I want to attach:
>
> virsh -c qemu+ssh://virt/system nodedev-list --cap usb
> Connecting to uri: qemu+ssh://virt/system
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_0_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_1
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_1_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_2
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_2_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_7
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1a_7_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_0_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_1
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_1_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_2
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_2_if0
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_7
> usb_device_0_0_0000_00_1d_7_if0
> usb_device_13fe_1d23_07780BA646FD
> usb_device_13fe_1d23_07780BA646FD_if0
> usb_device_413c_2003_noserial
> usb_device_413c_2003_noserial_if0
> usb_device_46b_ff10_serial
> usb_device_46b_ff10_serial_if0
> usb_device_46b_ff10_serial_if1
>
> (the device I want to attach is usb_device_13fe_1d23_07780BA646FD, it's
> a kingston USB Key).
>
> On the physical host, lsusb gives:
>
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046b:ff10 American Megatrends, Inc.
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 13fe:1d23 Kingston Technology Company Inc.
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
>
> If I manually create an XML file for this device, I can attach it to my
> guest using virsh, but, it'd be much simpler with virt-manager ;)
>
> PCI devices listing seems to work in virt-manager (I didn't try to pass
> PCI devices, but at least I can see them in the drop down list of
> virt-manger).
>
> Is this a known problem (remote USB device listing not working) or is
> this a bug ?

Sounds like a bug. Can you file this against virt-manager in rawhide,
include all the above info, along with ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log,
and the output of

for i in `virsh nodedev-list` ; do virsh nodedev-dumpxml $i; done

on the remote host?

For bug reporting info, see http://virt-manager.org/page/BugReporting

Thanks,
Cole