As your Red Hat® environment continues to grow, so does the need to manage it to a high standard of quality. Red Hat Satellite is an easy-to-use system management product that helps keep Red Hat Enterprise Linux® environments and other Red Hat infrastructure running efficiently, properly secured, and compliant with various standards.
ProvisioningProvision on bare metal, virtualized infrastructure, and public or private clouds—all from 1 centralized console and with 1 simple process.
Configuration managementConfigure your Red Hat systems in a more agile and efficient way. Analyze and automatically remediate configuration drift and control, and enforce the desired host end state, all from 1 convenient console.
Software managementUse a systematic process to apply content, including patches, to deployed systems in all stages, from development to production. The result is better consistency and availability of systems, letting IT more quickly respond to business needs and vulnerabilities.
Subscription managementEasily report and map your Red Hat-purchased products to registered systems for end-to-end subscription consumption visibility.
Reduce the complexity of managing systems by using just 1 tool to manage the complete life cycle of a system. Easily and effectively manage all your systems—whether they’re deployed on physical, virtual, or cloud infrastructure—from 1 console.
Quickly and easily define standard operating environments (SOEs) that let you deploy systems in a fast and repeatable manner. This improves system consistency, which helps increase efficiency, reduce errors, and meet compliance standards.
Manage systems across a wide variety of platforms, and meet the demand for managing thousands of distributed systems across multiple datacenters.
Take advantage of innovation
More innovation is happening in open source communities related to management than ever. Red Hat takes the best capabilities from these projects and pulls them into Red Hat Satellite, letting your enterprise access the latest innovation in a fully supported and certified product.
Red Hat Satellite can manage not only the life cycle of Red Hat Enterprise Linux software and configuration content, but also the life cycle of:
- Red Hat Storage.
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization.
- Red Hat Directory Server.
- Red Hat Certificate System.
- OpenShift Enterprise by Red Hat.
- Any other software available as an RPM.
Compared to other enterprise solutions, it’s less complex and less costly to implement. And unlike homegrown solutions, it follows best practices and scales to manage thousands of Red Hat systems efficiently.
An IDC return-on-investment (ROI) study found the average payback period for the initial Red Hat Satellite investment to be less than 7 months. That’s because Red Hat Satellite more efficiently manages your Linux systems, lowering per-system deployment and management costs. It also helps control costs by:
- Letting you easily standardize machine configurations.
- Vastly improving system-to-administrator ratios by automating patch and configuration management, and provisioning.
- Reducing errors and inconsistencies.
- Allowing junior-level administrators to perform senior admin tasks, which are organized in an intuitive interface.
Red Hat Satellite lets your organization easily address security, bug-fix, and enhancement errata. For example, you can use it to identify and quickly respond to vulnerabilities like Shellshock, Heartbleed, and GHOST. Red Hat Satellite also gives you peace of mind by letting you use industry-standard scanning and remediation tools, such as OpenSCAP, to audit systems and remediate them if required.
Red Hat Satellite provisioning and configuration capabilities let you roll out new systems in just minutes. With advanced automation capabilities, you can also add more systems without adding more administrators. By spending less time on these tasks, your admins can focus on higher-value activities and respond more quickly to business needs.
Red Hat Satellite can scale out to manage thousands of remote systems. It accomplishes this using Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server instances that are deployed at remote sites. Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server provides local management, while communicating back to Red Hat Satellite Server to provide a unified organizational view across multiple sites.
Satellite 6 has proven its ability to bring together all aspects of resource management.CHUCK GILBERT
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR FOR ADVANCED CYBERINFRASTRUCTURE SYSTEMS, INSTITUTE FOR CYBERSCIENCE, PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY
Our training courses are hands-on and role-based. This means students stay at their keyboards for up to 80% of a course, boosting the retention of skills they'll use every day. We offer several convenient ways to train and save, with training facilities around the world. Visit our student center to learn more, or read some training successes.
- Red Hat Enterprise Deployment and Systems Management (RH403)
Understand the concepts and methods necessary for successful large-scale deployment and management of Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.
Let Red Hat Consulting help you deploy Red Hat Satellite. We offer flexible engagement models to help meet your IT goals. Have unallocated end-of-year budget? Consider using Consulting Units to secure resources you'll need in the upcoming year—without committing to a specific topic up front.
- Red Hat Pathway to Operational Efficiency
Reduce deployment time, improve management, lower cost, and standardize.
- System management engagement
Establish an efficient, scalable IT environment.
Collaboration is a pillar of the open source community. And it’s how Red Hat approaches support. Connect to Red Hat Support to access industry-leading technical resources available in our award-winning Red Hat Customer Portal anywhere, any time.
In keeping with the open source way, we like to keep the lines of communication open. So whether you’re a customer or just interested in learning more, connect with us. We’re eager to answer questions.
- IDC Technology Spotlight: Simplify Enterprise IT Operations with Open Management
- IDC study: Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI
- Technology brief: Red Hat Satellite 5 to 6 transition: An overview of the expected transition process to Red Hat Satellite 6
- Linux made easy: Migrating from Windows using Red Hat Satellite 5
- The hidden costs and headaches of do-it-yourself systems management
- ETH Zurich
- With the introduction of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Satellite as a sophisticated life-cycle management solution, ETH Zurich can now enjoy efficient, flexible, and scalable operation of its centralized server environment as well as the workstation and server infrastructure in its departments, institutes, and professorships.
- Munich Airport
- For management, Munich Airport uses Red Hat Satellite to connect as many systems as possible. The implementation of individual processes, such as change and availability management, was greatly simplified by the administration tools.
- The introduction of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Satellite helps ING-DiBa achieve increased efficiency, performance, and scalability.
- Produban needed a platform that could be scaled horizontally, and running Red Hat Enterprise Linux on an x86 architecture would achieve that goal. Produban also added Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization and used Red Hat Satellite to manage thousands of systems as easily as 1.