ProductsServer Desktop & Workstation Developer Subscriptions Satellite OpenStack Platform For IBM POWER For SAP Business Applications Management For Scientific ComputingExtended Update Support High Availability High Performance Network Load Balancer Resilient Storage Scalable File System Smart Management Extended Lifecycle SupportA-MQ Accelerate Automate Integrate Application Platform BPM Suite BRMS JBoss community or Red Hat JBoss Middleware Data Grid Data Virtualization Developer Studio Portfolio Edition Fuse Fuse Service Works Operations Network Portal Web Framework Kit Web Server
SolutionsWhy Red Hat Why open hybrid cloud? The new IT Public cloud Cloud resource library Private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) Cloud applications and workloadsSolaris to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration overview Migrate from your UNIX platform How to migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Upgrade to the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release Red Hat JBoss Middleware Benefits of migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration services Start a conversation with Red Hat
TrainingPopular and new courses Red Hat JBoss Administration curriculum Core System Administration curriculum Red Hat JBoss Middleware development curriculum Advanced System Administration curriculum Linux Development curriculum Cloud Computing, Virtualization, and Storage curriculum
ConsultingSOA and integration Business process management Custom Software Development Enterprise Data and Storage Systems management Migrations
Every enterprise is different. There's no doubt about that. We understand your migration to Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® has unique requirements. But we've walked enough Red Hat Enterprise Linux customers through the migration process to help you clearly see—and safely navigate—the path ahead.
- 6 steps to migrate from Unix
- Deploy a test lab or pilot project Many customers opt for a test lab approach to evaluate a small number of application environments on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Qualify the stack Your business should first qualify its software stack for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. IT typically accumulates a range of third-party software components for hardware and storage enablement, middleware, monitoring, utilities, databases, and more.
- Port your in-house applications Porting your code from UNIX to Red Hat Enterprise Linux is typically straightforward. Red Hat ships with a broad range of developer tools and compilers to accelerate the effort.
Train your it staff Key staff should be trained early in the process. Although UNIX skills apply well to Linux, you need to know information that's specific to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Red Hat Training courses make learning easier.
- Prepare a red hat enterprise linux standard build Current provisioning methods using Kickstart are able to codify organizational requirements in a flexible and repeatable manner.
- Deploy a pilot Install the target systems using a repeatable provisioning (closed-loop) approach. Use Red Hat Network to ensure up-to-date provisioning.
- To Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Ready to dive into more detail? Download the whitepaper:Migrate from UNIX to Linux In 6 steps
Choose your flavor♦
Which platform are you migrating from? Find specific information about migrating from your current platform.
See for yourself: free 60-day trial♦
Try before you buy, and discover the stability, agility, and performance you've been missing.
The actual migration only took about 24 hours total, over the course of a week. Once we switched over on Monday morning, everything was just business as usual.Cox Enterprises
The quicker you can get new products out the door, the better chance you have of attracting new customers. We trust Red Hat Enterprise Linux as we continue to expand and innovate.Travelers
MORE MIGRATION RESOURCES
Read the whitepapers:
- Harvard Research Group: Linux migration assessment
- Migrating from UNIX RISC to Red Hat Enterprise Linux on Intel processor-based servers
Build a business case: