more -- ix86 packages on x86_64 system

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 03:40:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 11:10, Jason Knight wrote:
> Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>
> >The only idea that occurs to me involves up2date/yum/system-config-packages.
> >Could one/all of these packages be enhanced to properly handle the addition
> >(new installation) of an ix86 package on an existing x86_64 system ... to
> >install the package but then fix things so that if a x86_64 package was
> >already installed it would be re-installed (or things otherwise fixed up) so
> >that the result was the proper set of x86_64 files plus the ix86 libraries.
> >
> >The problem with spending any resources to solve this problem is that it
> >appears to me to be only needed for the amd64 (and whatever Intel is calling
> >their version) platform.  Other platforms which support simultaneous 32-bit
> >and 64-bit applications do not appear to have the problem since they seem to
> >be mostly 32-bit with a few 64-bit applications.  So the question is:  How
> >important is it to support arbitrary 32-bit applications running on a x86_64
> >system?  Is it important enough to spend time developing the capability.
> >
> >Comments?  Suggestions?
> >
> >Gene
> >

> I think one of the things that needs to be remembered is that the
> software (and hardware) community is slowly migrating towards the 64 bit
> architechture whereas 32 bit will become the old compatibility feature.
> Therefore sites such as newrpms and fedora.us will have their
> repositories eventually having x86_64 packages as opposed to the current
> 32 bit only status. This will mean that installations will be a breeze
> with x86_64 packages being installed from x86_64 repos will work
> flawlessly for the x86_64 based systems.
>
> So in effect: I think our main goal should be to start pushing
> developers (and repo maintainers) to start coding/building for 64 bit
> and to begin the migration as it has to start sooner or later.
>
> --
> Jason Knight
> Fedora Core 2 Test 2 *x86_64*

I don't believe the apt/yum repository owners will begin making
available x86_64 packages until either someone buys them some x86_64
machines, or until they feel the urge to splurge on one (or two)
themselves. I have felt that urge, and finally got FC2-test2 installed
on my eMachines M6807 (with no help from anaconda or the kernel, I can
tell you!) and am looking for a good x86_64 repo myself. I wanted to put
a repo up myself, but since I live in the 'good old USA', that idea went
down in flames.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCX
Red Hat, Inc.