Dual Opteron Upgrade Question

John Griffin jgriffin at v1data.com
Sun Aug 15 21:15:31 UTC 2004

We purchased two Opteron 244's for a dual system.
Only one CPU was in stock and we back ordered the second.
Upon opening the package, I discovered a spooky little note from AMD that
identified the importance of purchasing both CPUs with the same plant
number.
This is identified on the number on the chip- ie- OSADA244CC05
I can't remember what ours was and I can't find the slip that identified
this requirement.
I also couldn't find information on this at AMD's web-site.
I've never run into this before and I don't know if this limitation would
apply to your chipset.
I would highly recommend that you request opening the CPU package at the
supplier and look for the same notification (before purchasing).
fyi... my supplier thought I was a nutjob and I returned the CPU w/ the note
(they hadn't heard of this either). Upon calling their tech contact at AMD,
they were more friendly.
I swapped for two CPU's created from the same facility.
Our system has worked very well for us- best of luck...JWG