[Fwd: Re: my new superdesktop...]

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 19 20:59:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 02:36:18PM -0500, Brian Chase wrote:
> Comments, updates?

I'm still hearing similar results, but don't forget AMD64's also
have compelling 32 bit performance.  If the apps you want don't run
well in 64 bit environments then just install the 32-bit version.

> Not real happy with my choice for AMD64, mainly because the availability
> of software is quite limited, and things like java and flash are either
> difficult to get working, or unavailable for the platform.
> Understanding that my main use will be a terminal server, I'm kinda
> regretting not getting a dual Xeon for just a nice robust 32 bit box

Why?  You can install 32 bits today and wait for things to mature,
then at a time of your choosing upgrade to 64 bits and a bit of
extra performance.

> compared to Redhat based x86-64 or Suse distro's and it won't be
> released into "stable" for at least a couple more years, a snails pace
> compared to other Linux distro's release schedule.

Er, debian stable is er stable, if it's not bleeding edge enough for you
use something newer.

> The only reason, IMHO, to run out and grab a AMD64 platform today is for
> simulation or some other VERY computationally intensive task, like a
> QualNet Network Simulation, high end database server or something.
> Interested in hearing others' experiences along these lines.

AMD64's tend to have better performance and take less power, certainly
if you don't have any applications that need 64 bit stick with the more
mature 32 bit ports.  The S2882 has twice the bandwidth of any of the
dual intels, even with a 32 bit OS that can be worthwhile, presumably
you bought such hardware because you needed the performance.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering