What to install on an amd64 machine?

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 00:47:11 UTC 2004

One issue not yet mentioned in this thread is Java.  Java is painful to
install, and instructions on the Java website are poor at best,
confusing, switching between 32 bit instructions and 64-bit instructions.

Right now, I don't have Java installed.  I need a script that will take
care of it all for me or just have it pre-installed out of the box.
When will this happen?  I don't have time for this crapola.  It needs to
just work!  Sure, I understand that licensing issues may prohibit
inclusion of Java in Linux, but why then is it free?  Can't we all just
put our heads together, throw the lawyers out of the room for an hour
and fix this once and for all?

Flash for x86-64 is non-existent.

I haven't tried to replace my yum.conf file with the livna one, mainly
because I'm afraid to get a bunch of unwanted 32 bit apps, another
source of confusion.  Would be nice if all the good apps you could get
off of livna could just be included in the official repositories.  I
feel much of this "unofficial" business with some of the Fedora support
pages is just justified paranoia of our sue-happy culture we have here
in the USA.....Descending from my soap box....

Happy New Year to all!

Brian